Sustainable Poultry Production in Europe
Based on the proceedings of a recent symposium, this book aims to explore and ultimately define sustainability in the context of poultry production in Europe to create a durable industry for future generations. Four major themes are addressed in the book: resources – securing material supplies and maintaining a skilled workforce; market – strengthening positive links to end users; risk management – identifying and containing threats from disease and economic fluctuations; and environmental factors – maximizing contributions to waste management and food production while minimizing global resource usage.
Global leaders in science and industry discuss the resilience and evolutionary factors needed to create a durable industry capable of thriving from tomorrow to 2050. The chapters collectively examine the role of cutting edge technologies and other new approaches relating to the three pillars of sustainability: Environmental, Social and Economic. The diverse backgrounds of contributors enables this book to provide a broad perspective on a sustainable way forward for the poultry sector.
Part I: Creating a Resilient Industry
1. Making a Resilient Poultry Industry in Europe
2. Consumer Perceptions of Poultry Meat and Eggs: Bridging the Gap Between Public Perceptions and Reality
Part II: The Economics of Sustainable Production
3. Global Context on Price Volatility and Supply Chains – Is Europe Competitive?
4. Industry Challenges Surrounding Sustainability
Part III: People as a Sustainable Resource
5. How to Attract, Retain and Develop Talent within the Industry
Part IV: The Role of Nutrition in Sustainability
6. Which Feedstuffs Will Be Used in the Future?
7. Limiting Factors for Nutritional Efficiency
Part V: Avian and Human Health – Interactions, Opportunities and Threats
8. Food safety: prevention is better than crisis management
9. Endemic Disease – The Challenge to Reduce Antibiotic Use
10. Human Nutrition and Health – Making Products More Desirable to Consumers
Part VI: The Roles of Genetics and Breeding in Sustainability
11. Breeding for Sustainability: Maintaining and Enhancing Multi-Trait Genetic Improvement
12. Increased Sustainability in Poultry Production: New Tools and Resources for Genetic Management
Part VII: Environmental Sustainability
13. Reducing the Environmental Impact of Poultry Production
Part VIII: Horizon 2050
14. Horizons and Prospects – a Role for WPSA?
Part IX: Poster Abstracts