Climate Change and Future Challenges for Coastal Tourism
Providing a thorough examination of the threats posed to destinations by tourism, this comprehensive text discusses how popular and fragile destinations, such as the Great Barrier Reef, could become severely damaged and forced to close to tourists if current tourism trends continue. The consequences of tourism growth, predicted changes, and management and policy responses are reviewed. The book will explore tourism in the context of climate change and vulnerable environments, exploring the situation at local level and in a wider perspective using international case studies throughout and providing future recommendations. It will be an essential text for researchers, policymakers and students in tourism, ecotourism, environmental conservation, planning, coastal management and engineering, climate change and marine conservation.
"The prespective brought out in the book and the reference lists are vital for land use planners, conservationists, managers and policy personnel. Summing Up: Recommended."- Choice
1. Introduction - Disappearing Destinations: Current issues Challenges and Polemics.
2. Climate Change and its Impacts on Tourism: Regional Assessments, Knowledge Gaps and Issues.
3. Managing the Coastal Zone.
4. Definitions and Typologies of Coastal Tourism Beach Destinations.
5. Climate Change: Risk Management Issues and Challenges.
6. Climate change and the Law.
7. Climate Change, Tourism and the Media: Developing a Research Agenda.
8. Climate Change and the Mediterranean Southern Coasts.
9. Climate Change and Coastal Tourism in the Azores Archipelago.
10. Climate Change and Coastal Tourism in Ireland.
11. Climate Change - Coral Reefs and Dive Tourism in Southeast Asia.
12. Tourism and Climate Impact on North American Eastern Seaboard.
13. Would you like Ice with that? Antarctic Tourism and Climate Change.
14. UK Coastal Tourism Destinations: Assessment of Perceived Climate Impacts: Issues for Destination management, Local Governance and Public Policy Making.
15. Grand Isle, Louisiana: A Historic U.S. Gulf Coast Resort Adapts to Hurricanes, Subsidence, and Sea Level Rise.
16. Impact of Climate Change on Island tourism - The Balearic Islands: Impacts, Vulnerability and Critical Management issues.
17. The impact of climate change on reef-based tourism in Cairns, Australia - adaptation and response strategies for a highly vulnerable destination.
18. Disappearing Destinations: Recognizing Problems - Meeting Expectations - Delivering Solutions.