Changing Human Behaviour to Enhance Animal Welfare
Edited by Rebecca Sommerville
Foreword by Temple Grandin
Foreword by Temple Grandin
27th September 2021
- ISBN 9781789247237
- Language English
- Pages 208 pp.
- Size 6" x 9"
"The book is essential reading for people who are working to improve animal welfare...It is aimed at readers who are working directly with the people who care for the animals." From the foreword by Temple Grandin
Bridging the gap between the science of animal welfare, the animals and their owners, this book gives essential advice to practitioners worldwide on how to improve the welfare of all animals. Down to earth and intensely practical, the book describes the fundamentals of changing human behavior to benefit animal welfare and how this can be applied in real life situations. The book contains:
- voices from international experts and those working on the ground on challenges presented and overcome;
- advice on making change happen in practice, by influencing animal owners, users or communities, and the systems they are part of;
- the work and life experience of animal welfare practitioners, as a profession;
- essential information on how to translate the science of animal welfare and human behavior change into real life for maximum impact;
- resources to use from low- middle- and high- income countries, e.g. case studies, influencing skills, best practice, hints and tips.
Section I: Enhancing animal welfare – a profession with human engagement at its centre
1: The need for recognition of Practical Animal Welfare as a profession. By Rebecca Sommerville.
2: Animal welfare: the human element. By Suzanne Rogers and Jo White.
3: From stakeholder education to engagement, using strategies from social science. By Beth Ventura and Erica Hogstad Fjæran.
4. It takes a village: community engagement for sustainable animal welfare. By Melissa Liszweski.
5: Educating the animal welfare practitioners of the future. By Cathy Dwyer, Heather Bacon, Tamsin Coombs and Fritha Langford.
Section II: Enhancing animal welfare in practice worldwide
6: Moving an industry: protecting farm animals with science-based advocacy. By Sara Shields.
7: Applying the science of Animal Welfare to build more responsible food supply chains: reflections from a Corporate Sustainability Professional. By Priya Motupalli.
8: Farm Animal Welfare in the Nigerian context. By Mabel Aworh-Ajumobi.
9: Protecting animals in India: a government perspective through history to the present day. By Vijay Pal Singh and Sujoy Khanna.
10: The animals powering the world: promoting working animal welfare in resource-poor contexts. By Ashleigh Brown.
11: Strengthening existing healthcare systems for sustainable animal welfare. By Shereene Williams and Laura Skippen.
Animal behavior; Animal welfare; Clinical behavior; Welfare assessment; Charity; Government; Industry; Practitioner; Applied ethology; One welfare; One health; Human behavior change; Social science; Case studies; Practical advice