Food Plants of the World Revised Edition
Identification, Culinary Uses and Nutritional Value
Plants and plant-derived products make up the bulk of what we eat and drink every day, and people often wonder where their favorite food or drink comes from. This scientifically accurate photographic guide provides quick and informative answers.
Food Plants of the World is a comprehensive overview of the plants that provide us with food, beverages, spices and flavors. It is written in easy-to-understand language but gives accurate scientific information on the plants and their uses. This expanded and revised edition of the book includes:
- Descriptions of more than 400 food and flavor plants and their close relatives, including origin, history, cultivation, harvesting, properties and culinary uses.
- More than 1000 full-color photographs, showing the plants, flowers and plant parts that are used.
- Introductory chapters on cereals, pulses (legumes), nuts and seeds, fruits, vegetables, culinary herbs, sugar plants, beverages, spices and flavorings.
- Interesting facts about the historical and contemporary uses of the various plant-derived products.
- A checklist of more than 800 of the most important and well-known food plants of the world.
3: Regions of origin
5: Pulses (legumes)
6: Nuts and seeds
9: Culinary herbs
10: Sugars, gums, gels and starches
12: Spices and flavours
13: The plants in alphabetical order
14: Nutrients, diets and health
15: Quick guide to food plants
17: Further reading