Climate Change Challenges and Adaptations at Farm-level
Case Studies from Asia and Africa
6th January 2016
- ISBN 9781780644639
- Language English
- Pages 232 pp.
- Size 6.75" x 9.5"
This book emphasizes the role of farm level adaptation as a key in developmental pathways that are challenged by climate risks in the semi-arid tropics of Asia and Africa. It throws light on key issues that arise in farm level impacts, adaptation and vulnerability to climate change and discusses Q2 methodological approaches undertaken in study domains of Asia and Africa. The book systematically describes the perceptions, aspirations as elicited/voiced by the farmers and identifies determinants of adaptation decisions. Chapters identify constraints and opportunities that are translated into indicative intervention recommendations towards climate resilient farm households in the semi-arid tropics of Asia and Africa. Furthermore, it discusses with evidences that contributes to the development of livelihood strategy for poor farmers in Asia (Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam and China) and Africa (Burkina Faso, Niger, Kenya and Ghana).
Section I: Framework for addressing climate change
1. Climate change vulnerability and adaptation strategies with rural farm level perspective: A retrospection
2. Analytical framework and methodologies for analyzing farm-level vulnerability
Section II: – Evaluating impacts and adaptation to climate change
3. What’s in store for Asia: Making sense of changes in climate trends?
4. Changing Climate - Responding to the inevitable
5. Climate change and food security in Asia and Africa: Agricultural Futures
6. Evaluating adaption options at crop level to climate change in the tropics of Asia and West Africa
7. Scoping climate change adaptation strategies for small holder farmers in Kenya – A multi-dimensional impact assessment
8. Sustainable land and water management approaches in Sub-Saharan Africa: Farm-level analysis of climate change mitigation and adaptation from Niger
9. Sociological significance: Enhancing resilience to climate change among communities
10. Policy Options Towards Climate Resilience: Agent-based Assessment of Farm Households in West Africa
Section III: Looking beyond and planning for the future
11. Moving along adaptation pathways toward grass-root resilience: A synthesis
12. Way forward – Towards climate resilience