Camel Meat and Meat Products
9th January 2013
- ISBN 9781780641010
- Language English
- Pages 258 pp.
- Size 6.875" x 9.75"
- Images photos, graphs & charts
Camel meat has many benefits as a meat product. It has low fat content and is highly nutritious, and has potential to be used to combat hyperacidity, hypertension, pneumonia and respiratory disease. This book reviews up-to-date literature on camel meat and meat products, carcass and meat quality characteristics, muscle structure, post-mortem analysis and the nutritive value to humans. A comparatively small component of global meat consumption, camel meat has the potential to undergo an explosion of production worldwide, and currently farming for camel meat in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Australia is undergoing significant expansion. The potential of camel meat in helping to meet projected world food shortages, and being sustainably farmed, is also explored by the editors.
1. Classification, History and Distribution of the Camel
2. Camel Meat in the World
3. Camel Nutrition for Meat Production
4. Camel Body Weight Growth
5. Slaughtering and Processing of the Camel
6. Inspection of Slaughtering Camels
7. Prospects for on-Line Grading of Camelid Meat Yield and Quality
8. Camel Carcass Quality
9. Distributions and Partitioning of Tissues in the Camel Carcass
10. Structure and Quality of Camel Meat
11. Interventions to Improve the Tenderness of Fresh Meat: A Future Prospect for Camel Meat Research
12. Processed Camel Meats
13. Nutritive and Health Value of Camel Meat
14. The Economical Potential of Camel Meat