EXCELLENCE IN SCIENCE PUBLISHING
Australian Longhorn Beetles
(Coleoptera: Cerambycidae)Volume 3 — Subfamily Prioninae of the Australo-Pacific Region
Longhorn beetles — Cerambycidae — are one of the most easily recognized groups of beetles, a cosmopolitan family that encompasses more than 33,000 species in 5,200 genera worldwide. Out of the 117 beetle families occurring in Australia, Cerambycidae is the sixth largest, comprising more than 1,400 species classified in 300 genera.
Virtually all Cerambycidae feed on living or dead plant tissue and play a significant role in all terrestrial environments. Larvae often utilize damaged or dead trees for their development, and through feeding on rotten wood, form an important element of the saproxylic fauna, speeding nutrient and energy circulation in these habitats. Longhorn beetles can cause serious damage by sometimes feeding on and eventually killing living forest or orchard trees. Many species are listed as quarantine pests because of their destructive role to the timber industry, such as the European house borer introduced into Western Australia.
This third volume in the series on Australian longhorn beetles extends to include the taxonomy of genera and species of the subfamily Prioninae of the Australo-Pacific Region. Seven tribes, 50 genera and 166 species are included. All genera and most species are diagnosed, described, illustrated and included in keys to their identification.
- The final volume of a three-volume set with taxa representing the largest Australian beetles of taxonomic and commercial value (as agricultural pests and prized additions to amateur collections worldwide).
- Covers the taxonomy of genera and species of the Australo-Pacific Prioninae, with comments on natural history and morphology.
- Fifty Prioninae genera and 166 species are diagnosed and described, with identification keys and images provided to represent genera, species and actual type specimens.
- A full list of all Australian and Australo-Pacific species with synonymies and bibliographic citations is provided.
- Also available: Australian Longhorn Beetles (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) Volumes 1 and 2
Material and methods
Collecting and rearing longhorn beetles
Biology and ecology
Diagnosis of subfamily Prioninae
Higher classification of Prioninae
Classification of Australo-Pacific Prioninae
Key to tribes of Prioninae in the Australo-Pacific Region
Review of Australo-Pacific Prioninae
Tribe Macrotomini Thomson
Tribe Osphryonini Jin et al.
Tribe Rhipidocerini Jin et al.
Tribe Sceleocanthini Lacordaire
Tribe Tereticini Lameere
Tribe Catypnini Lacordaire
Tribe Parandrini Blanchard
Appendix: Type and historic specimens from Australo-Pacific Region
Index of scientific names