The Complete Field Guide to Dragonflies of Australia Edition 2
Illustrated by Albert Orr
15th May 2021
- ISBN 9781486313747
- Language English
- Pages 424 pp.
- Size 5" x 8"
- Images color photos, illus, & maps throughout
Dragonflies and damselflies are conspicuous insects: many are large and brightly colored. They are also valuable indicators of environmental wellbeing. A detailed knowledge of the dragonfly fauna is therefore an important basis for decisions about environmental protection and management.
This comprehensive guide to the Australian dragonfly fauna covers eight families of dragonflies and 10 families of damselflies, comprising the 113 genera and 333 species found in Australia. It has been updated with newly identified species and revised family names to reflect new world consensus systematics. Stunning full-color images and distribution maps are accompanied by identification keys for adults as well as larvae, which are often used as bait for freshwater fish.
This second edition of The Complete Field Guide to Dragonflies of Australia also includes illustrations by Albert Orr, one of the most renowned dragonfly illustrators. The extraordinary diversity of dragonflies will interest entomologists and amateur naturalists alike.
- Fully revised text, with updates to family names to match new world consensus systematics
- Includes newly established taxa, as well as at least five new species and several reclassified species/genera
- Provides identification keys for both adults and larvae
- Includes distribution maps and stunning color photographs
- Features illustrations by renowned dragonfly illustrator Albert Orr
Foreword to first edition
Foreword to second edition
Preface and acknowledgments to first edition
Preface and acknowledgments to second edition
- Zygoptera (Damselflies)
- Anisoptera (Dragonflies proper)
Identification of adults
Identification of larvae
Checklist of species
References and further reading
Index of scientific names
Index of common names