A Guide to Land Snails of Australia
2nd August 2022
- ISBN 9781486313525
- Language English
- Pages 184 pp.
- Size 5" x 8"
- Images 230 color photos, 7 b/w photos, 5 illus
Australia's native land snails are an often-overlooked invertebrate group that forms a significant part of terrestrial biodiversity, with an estimated 2500 species present in Australia today.
A Guide to Land Snails of Australia is an overview of Australia's native and introduced land snail faunas, offering a greater understanding of their role in the natural environment. The book presents clear diagnostic features of live snails and their shells, and is richly illustrated with a broad range of Australia's native snail, semi-slug and slug species. Comprehensive coverage is also included of the many exotic species introduced to Australia.
In a unique bioregional approach, the reader is taken on a trek through some of Australia's spectacular regional landscapes, highlighting their endemic and special snail faunas. This section is supplemented with key localities where species can be found.
- Profiles and provides diagnostic features for the 27 native Australian land snail families
- Includes information on the 47 introduced species and their families
- Highlights more than 160 of Australia’s most iconic species with photographs of selected live snails
- Provides a pictorial guide to the common shell shapes of families to assist with identification
- Takes a bioregional approach to snail identification, outlining key localities where species can be found
- Includes tips on how, when, and where to collect Australian land snails.
Preface: A snail whisperer's odyssey
1: The discovery and study of Australia’s native land snails
2: Land snail form and function
3: Land snail behaviour
4: Snails in the environment
5: Identification of land snails
6: Australian native land snail families
7: Snails introduced to Australia
8: Regional land snail faunas
9: Collecting land snails
10: Human uses of land snails
Appendix: Classification of Australia's land snails