Quail, Buttonquail and Plains-wanderer in Australia and New Zealand
Illustrated by Frank Knight
- ISBN 9781486312597
- Language English
- Pages 200 pp.
- Size 11" x 9"
- Images 28 color paintings, 17 color photos, 15 maps, 4 b&w photos, 5 illustrations
Although not closely related, quail, buttonquail and the Plains-wanderer have much in common. Quail, Buttonquail and Plains-wanderer in Australia and New Zealand examines 14 species of these small, secretive ground-dwelling birds, including Old World and New World quail, the endangered Buff-breasted Buttonquail, the elusive Plains-wanderer and the extinct New Zealand Quail.
Joseph Forshaw presents a comprehensive review of recent studies for these often hard to observe birds. Detailed species descriptions include key features, habitat, status, diet and breeding, along with information on eggs, calls, and distribution. Each species is fully illustrated with exquisite color identification plates by renowned wildlife artist Frank Knight. This is an essential reference for anyone fascinated by these elusive birds.
- A comprehensive account of six species of quail, seven species of buttonquail and the quail-like Plains-wanderer in Australia and New Zealand.
- Includes the extinct New Zealand Quail.
- Features detailed species descriptions, including habitats, breeding, subspecies, distribution, historical notes, eggs, diet and status.
- All species are illustrated in fine color plates by Frank Knight, one of Australia’s leading wildlife artists.
Genus Callipepla Wagler
Genus Colinus Goldfuss
Genus Coturnix Bonnaterre
Genus Synoicus Gould
Genus Turnix Bonnaterre
Genus Pedionomus Gould
Index of Common Names
Index of Scientific Names