EXCELLENCE IN SCIENCE PUBLISHING
Chainsaw Operator's Manual
Chainsaw Operator's Manual is an essential safety tool for chainsaw operators. It is the ultimate guide to basic chainsaw operating techniques covering safety, maintenance and cross-cutting, but not tree felling.
Detailed diagrams illustrate horizontal, vertical and boring cuts, as well as trimming and cross-cutting techniques. Safety considerations are discussed, including workplace safety, occupational hazards, kick-back and identifying dangerous trees. An explanation of the tension and compression forces in timber is also provided to help the reader understand where to begin cutting to avoid jamming the saw.
The book covers chainsaw maintenance in detail, explains all aspects of the equipment and helps the reader select the right chainsaw and personal protection equipment. Trouble-shooting charts are included to help solve operating problems.
This manual has been updated to take into account the most recent changes in nationally accredited competency standards. It is a must-have for anyone operating a chainsaw.
Workplace and operator safety
Basic cross-cutting techniques
1) National Competency Standards
2) Know Your Chainsaw: Parts of a Chainsaw; Chainsaw Features; Guide to Selecting a Chainsaw
3) Chainsaw Safety: Develop a Professional Attitude; Risk Management; Personal Protection Equipment; Other Equipment
4) Chainsaw Maintenance: Powerhead and Guide Bar Maintenance; The Cutting Attachment
5) Chainsaw Techniques: Pre-Start Checks; Safe Operating Techniques; Cutting Technique
6) Trim and Cross-Cut Operations: Limbing; Typical Trimming Work Patterns; Basic Principle of Cross-Cutting; cross-Cutting Techniques; Wind Throw and Pushed Trees; Butt Trimming; Ripping; Scrub Clearing
7) Relevant State Authorities and Technical Standards