PUBLISHERS AND DISTRIBUTORS OF PROFESSIONAL BOOKS AND JOURNALS
Asian Women in Higher Education
More Asian women are entering higher education in the UK than ever before, reflecting the widespread changes in the attitudes and cultural expectations of their various communities. The challenges they face and the ambitions they share are quite different from those of their mothers and grandmothers. This insightful and closely researched book illuminates the experiences of young Asian women in higher education and the strategies they adopt to build support networks that help them to succeed within the unfamiliar university setting and
actively shape their lives.
This book will be invaluable to teachers, postgraduate and undergraduate students and academics interested in the study of gender, ethnicity, identity and higher education.
"Explores the experiences of women of South Asian descent in British higher education."- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
1) Understanding Accounts of Asian Women in British Society
2) Communities and Identities
3) Race, Gender and Identity
4) Asian Women’s Experiences in Higher Education
5) The Academy
6) Friendship Networks and Support
7) Financial and Familial Support
8) Arranged Marriages and Changing Forms of Identity
9) Dowries: Past, Present and Future