Horse Genetics Edition 2
21st August 2013
- ISBN 9781845936754
- Language English
- Pages 272 pp.
- Size 6.25" x 9.25"
- Request Exam Copy
There are over 250 breeds of horses worldwide, with different abilities, temperaments and phenotypic traits that have developed and diversified for thousands of years since horses were first domesticated by humans.
This essential textbook describes the basic genetics of the horse including coat color, parentage, medical and population genetics, cytogenetics, performance, breeding systems and genetic conservation, and new advances such as micro-satellite testing. The authors have updated Dr. Ann T. Bowling's seminal work in light of the sequencing of the complete horse genome, and in addition to the basic genetic principles and their specific applications to the horse, new and revised topics include the development of genomics, gene expression, the relationship of the genome to physiological function, blood groups, transfusion medicine and haemolytic disease of newborn foals. It also includes a greater description of the diversity of breeds of horse in the world, and equid evolution.
It is an essential book for students of equine studies, animal breeding and veterinary science, as well horse breeders and owners.
From reviews of the first edition:
"...an excellent introduction into genetics as applied to Horses...also highly recommended for practical horse breeders. It's a must for all people interested in horses and in the genetics of horses." - Livestock Production Science
"...highly recommended as a clear and readable review of horse genetics."- The Veterinary Record
"If you have been waiting for a clear, concise and authoritative discussion of horse genetics, here it is...an important addition to any equine library."- Arabian Visions
1. Basic Genetics
2. Genomics of the horse
3. Genes, gene expression and physiology
4. Black, bay and agouti
5. Color Diluting Genes
6. White, Gray and Roan
8. Overo-type patterns
9. Appaloosa Spotting
10. Putting it all together
11. White Markings (former chapter 9)
12. Parentage Testing of Horses (former chapter 10)
13. Medical Genetics (former chapter 11)
14. Blood Groups, transfusions and haemolytic disease of the newborn foal
15. The horse karyotype and chromosomal abnormalities
16. Genetics of Performance Traits (former chapter 13)
17. Pedigrees and Breeding Schemes (former chapter 14)
18. Factors in Development. Genetics vs. Environment and sire vs. dam
19. Genetic Description of breeds
21. Frequently Asked Questions
22. Where are we going from here?