EXCELLENCE IN SCIENCE PUBLISHING
How Life Works
The Inside Word from a Biochemist
* Explores how life works in a captivating and accessible manner
* Gives the reader a much deeper understanding into current media topics like stem cell research, genetically modified foods and many other health related issues.
Biochemistry not only explains what DNA is and how it forms the blueprint for who you are, it also explains how the food you eat is broken down, supplying the energy to run a marathon. It shows the intricate structures of proteins and describes their amazing functions. With millions of interactions and reactions all taking place in accord, biochemistry is the science of how life works.
Complete with color illustrations and written in a conversational style, biochemists William and Daphne Elliott unravel the mystery of life while revealing its majesty. How do chemical reactions occur? How do genes hold information? Why do our bodies age? What happens when someone gets cancer? How Life Works provides the inside word for those who are curious about the workings of the microscopic world inside us.
1) The Fantastic Nature of Matter
2) The Problem of How to Supply Energy to Living Processes
3) Enzymes Bring About the Reactions of Life
4) Proteins: The Wonder Molecules of Life
5) The Genetic Problem and DNA
6) Deciphering the Genetic Code
7) The Life and Death of Cells
8) The Origin of Life