Sign Up for Email Alerts
UCL IOE Press
Mercury Learning and Information
Myers Education Press
National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition
Stylus Publishing, LLC
World Health Org.
All Stylus E-Books
E-Books by Subject
E-Book Exam Copy
Request Exam Copy
Request Desk Copy
E-Book Exam Copy
Blogs & Communities
View My Orders
Edit Account Information
Request Email Alerts
White Teachers / Diverse Classrooms
Teachers and Students of Color Talk Candidly about Connecting with Black Students and Transforming Educational Outcomes
Chance W. Lewis
CD-ROM & DVD: 978 1 57922 214 7 / $71.00
Published: April 2007
White Teachers / Diverse Classrooms Companion Products
· Interviews with Black students and experienced educators provide guidance on how to teach successfully in multicultural classes
· Insights and ideas to promote observation, reflection, and effective classroom practice
· Ideal for initiating constructive discussion in pre-service courses, and for professional development
· Defines the seven characteristics of successful multicultural teaching
· Based on the acclaimed book
These interviews with Black students, White and Black teachers, educational experts and school administrators poignantly bring to life the issues, strategies and competencies that teachers need to engage with–if they are to create the conditions that will enable their students of color to succeed and excel.
From these candid, unscripted interviews, there emerge seven key drivers of inclusive teaching.
The ideas and insights captured in this DVD are placed in context by short introductory and concluding commentaries by the editors of the acclaimed companion book, White Teachers / Diverse Classrooms.
The feature 33 minute track is enhanced by a further 83 minutes of additional footage that presents more extensive interviews with many of the participants, to add depth to pedagogical approaches they advocate.
This DVD is effective both for group viewing and discussion, and for individual study. It will spur debate, stimulate ideas and reflection, and inspire.
White Teachers / Diverse Classrooms DVD
Region: 0 / NTSC. Can be played on any computer worldwide / Plays on North American TVs only
Closed captioning for the hearing impaired. Includes educational performance rights.
Table of Contents:
I. Feature Presentation (33 minutes)
2. Building relationships / Connecting with students
3. High expectations
4. Cultural competence
5. Whiteness & White privilege
6. Self-knowledge & reflection
7. Connecting to families & community
8. Integrating students’ lives into classroom activities
II. Additional Resources (83 minutes):
1. Gloria Ladson-Billings
Informal language / Students’ family values / Cultural competence / High expectations
2. Verna Cornelia-Price, Part I
Peer tutoring / Service learning / Connecting curriculum to community
3. Verna Cornelia-Price, Part II
Teacher self-knowledge & power / Discipline / Gaining respect
4. Julie Landsman
Six key considerations
5. Dominique Suttles
Helping students understand themselves
6. Alex Leonard
Motivating students for education
7. Chance Lewis
Five strategies for success / A short history of Black K-12 education
8. Robert W. Simmons III
Relating to students / connecting science curriculum to students’ lives
9. Tiffany Moore
Supporting bi-racial children
III. Contributors’ Bios
HOW TO USE THIS DVD
Principals & School Administrators
A tool for professional development for teachers, counselors and other educational professionals.
Teachers of Pre-Service Courses
Demonstrate how to effectively reach students of color, and reinforce the importance of reflective practice to improve teaching.
Appropriate for district-wide training to assist teachers make vital connections with students of color to improve academic achievement.
Facilitated discussion among high school students about their own learning environment.
Getting Started with Pre-Service and In-Service Teachers
First viewing: get participants to recall the seven concepts presented, and initiate discussion using examples from the DVD and the student teachers’ / teachers' own experiences.
· What is the essence of the students’ comments?
· How is this information important for making connections with students of color?
· What points are most important to you for improving your teaching?
· What immediate action items would you apply in your classroom or school to support students of color?
· What does it mean to be a culturally competent teacher?
Teachers - Request Exam Copy
Reviews & Endorsements:
“A very good book for teachers to put on their shelves. I recommend its use at the university level as a teaching tool as well."
- Multicultural Review on the companion book
“An intellectually rich conversation starter."
- Sharon P. Robinson, President and CEO, American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, on the companion book
“A practical road map and an appeal to all teachers to re-dedicate themselves to ensuring that all students are prepared and can meet high educational standards.”
- Mary H. Futrell, Dean of the Graduate School of Education & Human Development, The George Washington University and former president of the National Education Association, on the companion book
"This book offers practical advice for teachers and administrators on ways to improve the education of students of color.
Topics include recognizing white privilege, reforming multicultural education, confronting institutional racism, addressing the challenges of educating minority students in predominantly white schools, and forging alliances with students' parents and communities.
The contributors stress that white teachers must avoid assuming that children of color do not possess the necessary skills, knowledge or desire to learn, emphasizing that low expectations are the worst form of racism."
- Education Week
"Although the authors devote considerable attention to the problems that African American students suffer in schools, the essays also discuss the difficulties of Latino, Asian, and Native American students. Most important, the editors believe that their book offers a general prescription designed to improve education for all students. Recommended."
Related Titles by Subject:
Bilingual & Multilingual Education
Race, Gender, Religion, & Diversity
Blogs & Communities
© 2018 Stylus Publishing, LLC Prices and descriptions subject to change without notice.